Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Working with Junior High students is NEVER dull!

SO many of you know that I love tuesdays! Yesterday was just like any other week, with the addition of Erica and Tara paying me a fun afternoon visit in Irvine! Thanks ladies! So, similar day as usual, at around 630pm I headed to my small group with 6th graders in North Irvine. Same fun times!

As we sat down to begin our lesson, we played a game and it was fantastic. Shortly after one of my students stands up and does the well known signal that she is choking! Her eyes began to water and her face was beat red! I quickly jumped up turned her around and performed the Heimlich on her...Scariest thing I have ever done.

It's a happy ending, she was ok! But I couldn't stop trembling for about 20 minutes! So with that said I have a few thank yous...

Carl Hankey Elementary - thank you for having the CPR diagrams on the wall in the nurses station when I got sick. I think it really showed me how to perform the heimlich.

Mrs. Clark - thank you for making me take CPR classes when I was 12 so that I could baby-sit your kids

WildRivers - Thank you for forcing me to take it again in order to work at the waterpark

YMCA - I appreciate you asking me to freshen up on my CPR skills before I worked for you that terribly LONG summer before my Senior year.

Kanakauk - thank you for making me take CPR twice in order to work for camp!

I never thought I would have to be the one to use it! So thank you!

on a side note: if you work with students or even people you should know CPR!!!!

5 comments:

All Things Cook said...

Wow, you're such a superhero. If I'm ever choking...I know who I'm gonna call. Can't WAIT to see you!!! 3 weeks!

Jordan said...

Wow, you are a superhero missy! (:

amywopsle said...

You are awesome! What a blessing and miracle that you were there! I've always thought it was important to be trained in CPR techniques, my mom still makes me do it every summer. PS, love the redesign!

Amanda said...

superwoman mariah! what would that sweet gal have done had you not been there?! you saved the day. well i'm just checking in to say. looks like you and your hubby are doing well. let's get together soon! you've got to meet our girls! =) love and hugs, amanda

Amanda said...

ok my last sentence didn't get finished all the way, i meant to say, "just checking in to say HI." yeah, forgot the HI part. it's late, i better go to bed--obviously! haha!